A kangaroo sitting in a field with a fence behind him


0427 106 803


Gladstone Wildlife cares for a diverse range of injured, orphaned and sick wildlife of the Gladstone Region. We have specialist carers including raptor, echidna, reptile and marsupial carers. Gladstone Wildlife maintains a regional Care Line 0427 106 803 for Wildlife care related calls. The Gladstone Wildlife care line supports 1300Animal regionally in rescuing and caring of wildlife.

A very small baby roo being held in someone's hand with a green shirt


Wildlife comes into care for many reasons including:
Road traumas
Domestic Animal attacks
Pollution entanglements and ingestion
Habitat clearing
Illnesses, heat stress and weather events like fires

What to do if you find injured wildlife

For the Gladstone region:
Call our Care line.


0427 106 803

For all other areas in Queensland:
Call The RSPCA call line at 1300ANIMAL (1300 264 625). This call line reaches a network of carers across Queensland.

If you have been in an accident please call 000.

For stranded or deceased marine animals including turtles, dolphins, dugongs and whales call 
1300 130 372
More information about stranded or deceased marine life can be found here:

Remove threats - ensure you are safe and the area is safe

Place a towel over the animal if safe to do so and contain it in a box, make sure the box has holes for air flow. Place the box in a quiet, dark room. Observe and take photo's as these will help us work out if the animal needs to be rescued and also to identify the species.

Call for advice before handling. Wild animals will bite and scratch but they can also carry diseases and parasites.

After handling any animal, please wash your hands or sanitise and dispose of/sanitise any soiled materials or containers.

Please do not offer food and water. Seek advice first as the wrong formulas or foods can be harmful.

Do not keep wildlife. In Queensland you cannot keep wildlife without the correct permits and rehabilitation training.

Birds and Animals

White and brown owl with large white face and black eyes

Stress is a big killer when it comes to rescuing injured wildlife. It is also important to remember that wild animals are equipped to defend themselves, when they are scared and vulnerable.

Native animals are not used to being handled by humans and do not understand you are trying to help them. All of our rescue volunteers are trained in rescue techniques that limit the risk of injury to themselves and the animal and also reduce the stress on the animal.

The most important thing to achieve with injured wildlife is securing its safety. We achieve this by following the steps above whilst ensuring our own safety.


Injured black bat on a towel

If you come across a bat/flying fox that has been injured or orphaned please phone 0427 106 803 immediately.

Please take care not to touch or handle bats/flying foxes.

If you are bitten or scratched by a bat please wash the wound immediately for 5 minutes and seek medical attention. If your domesticated animal has been bitten or scratched by a bat/flying fox please seek veterinary attention immediately. Gladstone & District Wildlife Carers have been vaccinated and trained in handling bats and flying foxes.


Head and part of body of a brown and beige snake in a box with fake green grass

Snake Removals and Relocations require an insured and qualified person who holds the correct permits.

Engaging a relocator without the proper insurances (or any professional trade person) can leave you at risk of an injury liability.

Click the link below to access the Gladstone Regional Council Website for Snake Catching services:

Gladstone Wildlife does not relocate wildlife.  Click here to find more information about wildlife relocation.
A permit is required to rehabilitate wildlife in Queensland. Gladstone Wildlife operates under an umbrella permit and endorses members to care under this permit based on capacity and ability to facilitate care.  To find out more about permits in Queensland, follow this link to the Department’s website.
Should you have problems with wildlife, e.g. possums in your roof, please contact a licensed relocator.
For swooping birds, domestic or feral animals, please contact Gladstone Regional Council.